Over the past two years many companies have shifted to allow their teams to work from home full time, while others have employed a hybrid schedule. According to a recent Pew Research Study, about six in ten U.S. workers say all or most of their jobs can be done at home. Prior to the pandemic, only 23% of workers surveyed said they were able to work from home, marking a considerable shift in the way work is done. Many of the workers surveyed noted that they’re working from home by choice rather than necessity, with 61% of workers surveyed choosing not to go into their workplace.
With this shift to working from home comes the need for a home office! Whether you’re already working from home for a company and can move wherever you’d like, or you’re considering taking a job with one of the many nearby tech companies in the Seattle or Tacoma areas that offer flexible full or part-time work-from-home options, we have several incredible communities for you to consider as the site of your new home office.
When designed properly, a home office can allow you to work more efficiently and comfortably. Whether you’re working with a small or large home office space, we’ve put together the following 5 tips to help you create a truly stellar home office!
1. Ensure Exceptional Lighting
According to a recent study; proper lighting is key when designing your home office. Poor office lighting can reduce your energy, dampen your mood, cause eye strain and headaches, and impair your ability to work effectively. If possible, set up your home office in an area or room with a lot of natural daylight to ensure you feel more active and energized throughout the day. This will help maintain your levels of vitamin D, which ultimately will help improve your sleep and help keep you in a good mood. An abundance of natural lighting also means you’ll reduce your energy consumption during the day. When installing lighting in your office, consider using cooler blue and white lights as those are better for working and concentrating.
2. Choose the Right Colors
Colors tend to have a great deal of psychological impact on people, so choosing the right color for your home office is very important. Some colors can help you feel productive, while others may cause you to feel like you need to take a nap. It’s generally a good idea to choose more “natural” colors such as blues, greens, whites, and other earthy tones. Here’s an overview from some color experts for you to consider:
- Red: Ideal for stimulating the brain. It can also occasionally increase heart and respiration rates.
- Blue and Green: Great for inducing a sense of security and calmness.
- Yellow: This bright color is known for encouraging creativity.
- White: Helps your workspace look bigger and inspires optimism.
3. Choose Ergonomic Furniture
You’ll be spending a lot of time in your home office, so choosing comfortable, ergonomic furniture is essential for your health and well-being. Here are a few of the key reasons to choose ergonomic furniture:
- Posture Support: Bad posture can lead to an increase in back injuries. Choosing an ergonomic chair ensures your back is properly supported.
- Reduced Neck Pain: Sitting improperly can lead to neck and shoulder pain and complications like spondylosis - a loss of cartilage lining the vertebrae in the back.
- Hip Relief: Sitting in a chair that’s too hard can put unnecessary pressure on your hips. Make sure to choose a chair with sufficient padding and depth to reduce stress on your hips.
- Improved Circulation: Ergonomic chairs help increase proper circulation to your legs, which helps ensure your legs won’t swell or go numb while you’re working.
4. Eliminate Distractions
One of the downsides of working from home is that there are often a lot of distractions. When creating your home office, it’s important to create a workspace devoid of things that cause distractions - such as tv and clutter. This leads us to our final tip – smart storage solutions to help you reduce clutter!
5. Find Smart Storage Solutions
Working hand in hand with our previous suggestion is the importance of proper storage in your home office. The right storage can help keep your workspace organized and clutter-free, which will help increase your focus, mood, and productivity.
Build Your New Home Office Today!
There are so many benefits to working from home, and we’re here to help you create your ideal workspace in one of our stunning communities! Whether you work from home part- or full-time, Soundbuilt has many beautiful homes with stunning home offices for you to choose from in Washington state! Interested? Consider joining our VIP Priority List! Contact our concierge team to learn more about making your work-from-home dream a reality in your new Soundbuilt home!