When it comes to decorating and even furnishing a home, DIY and general craftiness has never been more popular than it is today. With the advent of visual social media platforms like Pinterest, it’s never been so easy to share inspiration and ideas for home decorating.
We love sharing inspiration with the people who buy our new homes. We know that adding a personal touch in accessories, linens, artwork and other decor is one of the things that many new home buyers look forward to.
We decided to tap the power of Pinterest to see whether we could find DIY projects with inspiration for unexpected ways to use color to spice things up in your home; and here they are.
12 Unexpected Ways to Use Color In Your Home
1. Create blocks of color by arranging books (or other accessories) by color. Go to Link: http://pinterest.com/pin/119275090101819566/
2. Use craft paper or small pieces of wood lathe to create colorful mobiles for the nursery or – as shown here – to decorate for parties. Go to Link: http://pinterest.com/pin/213076626090077162/
3. Surprise and delight the eyes and the palate with color coordinated bbq skewered foods. Go to Link: http://pinterest.com/pin/17099673555359587/
4. Create a colorful back drop for a buffet (like the also-color coordinated candy bar shown here) with a striped fabric. Go to Link: http://pinterest.com/pin/133348838936710027/
5. Go for max impact when decorating your home office, craft space or guest room. As a tip, when painting the walls and choosing accessories in bold colors, think “neutral” for furnishings, bedding and other large items to keep your bright color from being overwhelming. Go to Link: http://pinterest.com/pin/69242912990941719/
6. Repurpose and reclaim used frames with a rejuvenating coat of paint in your favorite color, then mix and match with photos and other collectibles to create an interesting display. Go to Link: http://pinterest.com/pin/249175791853242393/
7. DIY your own headboard using nothing more than paint, color-blocked onto plywood or MDF (that DIYers favorite!) Go to Link: http://pinterest.com/pin/147774431493175663/ Or take color-blocking one step further and create an accent wall for bedroom, nursery or living space in colors that live in the same general color and hue “family.” Go to Link: http://pinterest.com/pin/237776055296511404/
8. Tie spaces together and create visual interest by choosing wall colors that pick up the pop provided by your accessories like the pillows, vases, baskets and even flowers shown here. Go to Link: http://pinterest.com/pin/3940718394068890/
9. Don’t forget the 5th and 6th walls of any room – ceiling and floor both provide a moment where you can extend your palette to tickle the visual fancy. Go to Link: http://pinterest.com/pin/261631059573074896/
10. The back “wall” of inexpensive bookshelves can become the substitute for painting an actual wall – less expensive, less work and less permanent! Go to Link: http://pinterest.com/pin/186899453256266389/
11. Ok it’s not color, but maybe it should be. Lighting plays an important role when it comes to color and you can use it to set the mood and wow your guests, like the photo here which displays a DIY hula hoop light fixture set atop a stunning bright orange floral centerpiece. Go to Link: http://pinterest.com/pin/63894888433535620/
12. Welcome guests to outdoor spaces with color as well. We love this balloon banner which is made even more impactful by creating solid rather than multi-colored pops of rainbow colors. Go to Link: http://pinterest.com/pin/240027855110223546/
Follow our boards on Pinterest and Instagram for more color and home decorating inspiration.